July 26, 2017 | By Joanna Track
We ❤️ Email…
We’ve always had an affinity for newsletters. Maybe it’s our history (RIP, sweetspot.ca), but there’s something special about getting the information you want delivered directly to you, instead of going out and tracking it down.
Though our first foray into email newsletters was in 2004 and a whole lot has changed since then, the benefits haven’t. Sure we get about a million more than we did then (give or take), and we now have Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram to help cut through the internet clutter, but all of those platforms are biased in one way or another. Email is the last frontier where you can control what you receive. (Have you seen your mailbox lately? We don’t know about you but we don’t need any more pizza coupons.)
Luckily, we were onto something in 2004 and it looks like we were onto something again when we launched The Bullet in 2016. According to Content Standard, email newsletters are experiencing a renaissance, and we couldn’t agree more.
There are a whole lot of great options out there (we just happen to be one of them — wink, wink, nudge, nudge), and because we believe in the power of email, here are a few of our favourites:
- The Sup by Betches: If you haven’t discovered Betches yet, you’re missing out. The team behind this viral social media account (turned booming business empire) say all the things we wish we could in The Sup about current events and the political landscape. They curse and criticize and make us laugh till we can’t laugh anymore.
- Need 2 Know: Need 2 Know is our brother from another mother. While you won’t get any Canadian news, they’ve been a huge influence on The Bullet and continue to inspire us as our business grows. Expect hilarious memes and an in-depth look at American news.
- The Hustle: The Hustle is who we want to be when we grow up. They’re funny, witty and send everything you need to know about the news, with a focus on tech. It’s a bit of a longer read, but totally worth it. Luckily, they’re American so you’ll still need us for your dose of Canadian news. (If they were Canadian, we may have to quit our day jobs.)
- Nieman Lab: If you’re into news ABOUT the news then sign up for Nieman Lab. You’ll get all the latest info about what’s happening in the media industry.
- Who What Wear: We may have a soft spot for Who What Wear’s slew of emails because they remind us of ‘sweet’ days gone by, but this lifestyle group is killing the newsletter game. From My Domaine to Byrdie to the OG mothership, Who What Wear, sign up for these newsletters and you’ll be more in the know than your most fashionable pal.